Negative emissions involve strategies which remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.
Carbon Brief documented 10 of the most frequently proposed negative emissions technologies (NETs):
- Direct air capture
- Cloud or ocean treatment with alkali
- Enhanced weathering
- Enhanced ocean productivity
- ‘Blue carbon’ habitat restoration
- Afforestation and reforestation
- Building with biomass
- Soil carbon sequestration
However, some strategies reduce warming without reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and that does nothing to reduce ocean acidification which many see as a greater threat to our wellbeing.