If we do not manage to reduce our emissions rapidly, more and more attention is being given to removing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere by other strategies.
Carbon Brief created the infographic of 10 of the most frequently proposed negative emissions technologies (NETs):
- 1 Direct air capture
- 2 Cloud or ocean treatment with alkali
- 3 Enhanced weathering
- 4 Enhanced ocean productivity
- 5 ‘Blue carbon’ habitat restoration
- 6 Afforestation and reforestation
- 7 BECCS
- 8 Building with biomass
- 9 Biochar
- 10 Soil carbon sequestration
However, some strategies (e.g. albedo modification) reduce warming without reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and that does nothing to reduce ocean acidification which many see as a greater threat to our wellbeing.